It's easy to dye Tabi Boots. Here's how I do it:
- Make sure the boots are clean.
- Fill a big kettle with enough water to cover the boots and bring it to a boil.
- While the water is boiling soak the boots in warm water Rub the boots together to remove sizing that may block the dye.
- Once the water boils add the dye and stir to mix thoroughly. I use Tintex but any commercial dye will do. Make sure the dye is completely dissolved in the water.
- Add the wet boots. Submerge the boots and stir, making sure that all surfaces are exposed.
- Stir off and on for at least five minutes. If the boots are folded over, the dye won't penetrate evenly and the results will be blotchy.
- The boots need to be in the water for at least 15 minutes. When they are a shade darker than you want, take them out.
- Put them through a cold water machine wash twice to flush away the extra dye. With Tintex, they are now colour-fast.
- While you have the hot dye left over, dye something else, a t-shirt to go with your Tabi Boots or some Tabi Socks. Same method, soak, stir and wash in cold water.
- Hang everything to dry and enjoy your TABI!
Note: Don't hang them to dry in direct sun or they will fade unevenly.